TAE has a cute little daughter, so has not come face to face with the decision whether or not to circumcise my child. However, Mrs. TAE and I plan on more kids in the future, so the subject is worth considering. But is it worth posting?
This article summarizes all of my best points, and thereby saves me the trouble. In short, circumcision is like driving...as long as done by someone qualified, then there are nothing but benefits.
Now, I certainly respect the rights of individuals to choose to opt their newborn sons out of any non-compulsory procedure, whether because of their doctor's advice or because of their own feelings. But as I have stated before, I feel those individuals that so choose are being selfish and unethical to increase the population's disease risk because of their own personal feelings (and unsubstantiated claims) about vaccines and their belief that personal risks outweighs the need for the larger community to be protected. The same goes for circumcision. By not circumcising your son, you are protecting him from rare, but possible nerve damage and deformity. Meanwhile, your putting him at much (read: MUCH) greater risk for many diseases. And you also add your son to the chain of "infectables" that act as tentpoles for a disease to travel through a population.
_
Mittwoch, 1. April 2009
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen