abujug blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Montag, 6. Oktober 2008

Stocks, Gas, And Everything

Posted on 09:43 by david
Dear John Mellencamp,
Although the "wild night" may in fact be calling, I guarantee there are no boys doing the boogie woogie on the corner of the street.

In more important news, SELL SELL SELL!

Just kidding, but the NYSE is taking a scary nose-dive again today, trying to keep up with the falling foreign markets. The interesting thing about this dive is that it is predictable. Well, sort of.
The Hindenburg Omen, a weird sort of statistical anomaly that 92% of the time is right every time allows for the prediction of a coming (read: within days) correction in the stock market. The Hindenburg Omen has been right almost every time since 1985, and accurately predicted today's plunge, based on Friday's market.

The two problems I have with this is that the ability to predict market drops (between 2%-4.9%) is really neat trick, but if you can do so, 1. you run the risk of being a self-fulfilling prophecy, and 2. why can't you predict upswings in the market. Sell-offs by and large make no one profit (especially with the government blocking short-sales) and the best you can do is protect yourself from losses. A 92% accurate model for sudden upticks in the market would be a much more useful tool.

Further, the drop today of the Dow below 10,000, and the price of a barrel of gas below $90 reminds me of two things that happened 8 months ago.
First, I read an article that claimed that presidential election cycles tend to sway the stock market, the time of highest volatility in the last 52 years' election was the two quarters immediately before and the one quarter after a Presidential election. Also, the market typically swung downward for the first 18 months of an President's term, swung up for the next 26 months, then swung back down before the next election. Sure enough, the recent market volatility follows that trend. So does that mean we have another 18 months before the market swings upwards? Most economists think so.
Second, a different economist (Harry Dent) predicted we'd hit 20,000 by the end of 2008. I wish I could find that article (found it) so I could point out what a ridiculous prediction (on the level of Nostradamus) it was.
Third, it was predicted in August that "we'll never see $3 dollar gas again." This morning at the local Quiktrip gas costs $2.99 for regular unleaded. In Joplin this morning gas is at $2.81.

The point I'm trying to make here is that for every situation, there is some "guru" who is happy to make a bold prediction, whether optimistic or cynical. And then they hope they are right and if they are wrong they try to bury it by making newer predictions.

So here is the official TAE bold prediction for the economy:
The stock market will drop to around 9400 by February 2009, before starting a slow climb back above 11,000 over the next year. Rises and falls of 500 points will become more commonplace to the point that 300 pt changes will no longer be newsworthy. A barrel of gas will stabilize at 88 dollars a barrel, and the price of gas at the pump will lower until the national average is $2.75 a gallon for regular unleaded. I'll try to revisit this prediction in 6 months, at which time if I'm correct I will cite it heavily, and if I'm wrong I'll just make new predictions and bury this entry.
Diesen Post per E-Mail versendenBlogThis!Auf X teilenIn Facebook freigeben
Posted in gas, predictions, the market | No comments
Neuerer Post Älterer Post Startseite

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Local Variety Show
    Lewis Diuguid, completely free to write about whatever crosses his mind , informs us all that "socialist" is a code word J. Edgar ...
  • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
    Megan happens to post about a similar topic to what I was going to post about, giving me further evidence that today is a good day to post ...
  • A Time For Violence
    I feel like our nation is averse to warfare. Our society has set us up to feel guilty for the use of violence, and has pushed down masculini...
  • Ahem
    House Democrats attempt to bolster their own numbers by changing the Articles of Confederation. Similar to the Kansas-Nebraska Act (or the...
  • Read the whole post.
    Despite my best efforts : And in case I didn't make it clear above, spare me your linkspam for or against vaccines and circumcision. I k...
  • Oh, hi Colin.
    The thing that struck me about Colin Powell throwing his name onto the Obama roster was "who is affected by this?" Who on earth, s...
  • OPEC's Short Term Memory
    Now, I can't guarantee it was intentional, but it seems to me that OPEC's strategy during the 90's was to oversupply oil to the ...
  • Republican = Traitor?
    Excuse me Frank Schaeffer, but please, shut your mouth . I protest stimulus because I love this country, not because I hate it. Oh sorry, I ...
  • And now for a word on illegal immigrants.
    In a recent local police/Federal authority joint effort, it was discovered that of the 366 prisoners locked up in the Johnson County, Kansas...
  • Tragedy in Buffalo
    Chris Kausner, believing his sister was on the plane, rushed to a hastily established command center after calling his vacationing mother in...

Categories

  • Al Davis
  • Bailout
  • ben affleck
  • Big 3
  • Bill Ayers
  • bipartisanship
  • Bush
  • Cabinet Positions
  • car wreck
  • cellulosic ethanol
  • Christianity
  • Chrysler
  • Clarence Chu
  • Credit Crisis
  • cycling
  • Del Sol
  • Detriot
  • Detroit
  • economics
  • economy
  • egomaniac
  • electricity
  • Endowments
  • engineering
  • Environmental Hypocrisy
  • ESPN
  • ethics
  • evolution
  • existentialism
  • fiscal conservatism
  • Ford
  • Fox News
  • Freddie Mac
  • gas
  • GM
  • Godzilla
  • Green Revolution
  • GTX
  • Harley-Davidson
  • harvard
  • Honda
  • hunting
  • Islam
  • Jerry Jones
  • Kanye West
  • keith olbermann
  • Lance Armstrong
  • market socialism
  • McCain
  • Mere Christianity
  • morality
  • Mountain Dew
  • MTV
  • Mumbai
  • NASA
  • NCLB
  • neandertals
  • No Child Left Behind
  • Obama
  • oil
  • Pakistan
  • Palin
  • per diem
  • philosophy
  • Poetry
  • predictions
  • Rahm Emanuel
  • senators
  • sex
  • Socialism
  • Stimulus
  • Thanksgiving
  • the market
  • urine recycler
  • Zombies

Blog Archive

  • ►  2009 (228)
    • ►  April (45)
    • ►  März (72)
    • ►  Februar (64)
    • ►  Januar (47)
  • ▼  2008 (182)
    • ►  Dezember (47)
    • ►  November (46)
    • ▼  Oktober (43)
      • Layout
      • Teh Crediblitty
      • This fulfills my obligation to say something about...
      • Good use of my time
      • Robin Hood vs. Captain America
      • Quoted
      • Regaining my political neutrality!
      • Beating a dead horse
      • Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Sarah Palin?
      • Watch for falling prices
      • You can put lipstick on the word socialism...
      • Presidential Roundup
      • Unbreakable Blue Stripe
      • Local Variety Show
      • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
      • Cancer steals the spotlight.
      • The Greatest Band of All Time
      • Joe Biden rewrites history.
      • Stimulate me...again!
      • Oh, hi Colin.
      • Larry Johnson
      • Homosexuality - should I even go there?
      • More on evil animals.
      • Mike Tyson to Lennox Lewis: "I'm gonna eat your ch...
      • Despite what MSM says, Obama is in fact a black ca...
      • Nice.
      • My friend Kevin
      • How to save Detroit.
      • A raised hackle in defense of conservatism.
      • Brodie Croyle is Zach Grienke?
      • Parents weigh whether to bail out their children.
      • Sunday Sermon
      • The Cougar pounces...and falls into a spike pit.
      • MSNBC predicts: Dems by a landslide
      • Kennedy, Nixon, Obama, McCain
      • Today's Montage
      • And in cat news...
      • Stocks, Gas, And Everything
      • Bad Sportsmanship
      • Debatably debatable debate.
      • We're from Kansas, good old Kansas
      • Freedom Fries
      • Knighted for what?!
    • ►  September (39)
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

Über mich

david
Mein Profil vollständig anzeigen