abujug blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Montag, 19. Januar 2009

Service

Posted on 10:27 by david
Yesterday's sermon at COR about service really struck a chord in me and I'm going to go out on a limb and write a personal post about it.

Service to my fellow human has been a goal of mine since I was a young man and desired to enter med school. My wildly improbable plan, at the time, was to become a plastic surgeon, make a fortune for 4 months of the year doing boob jobs for housewives, then spend the next 8 months in Burundi, or Costa Rica, or somewhere awful, really awful, plying my surgeon skills for free.
Unfortunately, I had way too much fun in college, and the dream got lost somewhere between the girls, the Keystone Light, and the late nights. I scraped my way into graduate school and have since grown up.

But therein lies the problem. Now that I have matured, and found academic and social success in my life (and the security of a full-time job), the desire I always had to throw my life away in service to God has rekindled itself in my heart. Last night's sermon was mostly about being a good Christian witness to your fellow man, and showing, rather than telling, people how to be a good Christian. A man that follows Jesus will invariably attract others to Jesus as well. This I believe to be absolutely true. Jesus teachings are by far the single most attractive set of philosophical values and rules I have experienced. If you do not choose pure hedonism and if you believe in anything before or after your own life, you must, I feel, be drawn to Jesus, because his arguments are simply airtight and perfect.
That's all good and well for me to say, but the truth is, I want to show it.

The problem is, I cannot possibly ever become a plastic surgeon; the field of medicine is way too dismissing of my GPA, anyway, I'm too ingrained in engineering, and frankly I don't think my family could manage that kind of career move. So I must find some other way to make an impact on society. Or do I? The doubt creeps in and I begin to wonder if simply living a good life for my family is enough. If I work hard at my job, raise my kid to be a good person, and love only my wife, have I done enough? It pains me to say so, but no, I have not. Not by my standards.

God gifted me. When I was a little kid I went through some testing and was told I was gifted and talented. But "gifted" holds that double meaning now, doesn't it. A 'gift' is an ability to do a thing or things extremely well. But on the other hand, a 'gift' is something you have received from someone else. Obviously, through genetics, I received my brain from my parents and ancestors. But more than that, my soul, I believe, was the lucky one that got to inhabit the body that my genetics had prepared. The maker of my soul is God. So in a way, I am in debt to my parents for having me, but I am also in debt to God, who chose this body for me to inhabit.

So I've got all this brain and talent and I, for the sake of my sanity, must use it for the greater good. Designing the guts of buildings is a great way to keep a roof over my family's heads, but I don't feel a swelling pride in my soul at the end of a work day. I have simply done what any good man would do. But I want to be a great man. Not for my own glory, but rather because I live with the huge debt I owe to the Almighty, and the sooner I can get started paying it off, the better.

Simply put: God did not give me the brain I have so that I could design the guts of buildings for snobby architects. God gave me this brain to use for His work.

I just wish I could figure out what His work was.


_
Diesen Post per E-Mail versendenBlogThis!Auf X teilenIn Facebook freigeben
Posted in | No comments
Neuerer Post Älterer Post Startseite

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Local Variety Show
    Lewis Diuguid, completely free to write about whatever crosses his mind , informs us all that "socialist" is a code word J. Edgar ...
  • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
    Megan happens to post about a similar topic to what I was going to post about, giving me further evidence that today is a good day to post ...
  • A Time For Violence
    I feel like our nation is averse to warfare. Our society has set us up to feel guilty for the use of violence, and has pushed down masculini...
  • Ahem
    House Democrats attempt to bolster their own numbers by changing the Articles of Confederation. Similar to the Kansas-Nebraska Act (or the...
  • Read the whole post.
    Despite my best efforts : And in case I didn't make it clear above, spare me your linkspam for or against vaccines and circumcision. I k...
  • Oh, hi Colin.
    The thing that struck me about Colin Powell throwing his name onto the Obama roster was "who is affected by this?" Who on earth, s...
  • OPEC's Short Term Memory
    Now, I can't guarantee it was intentional, but it seems to me that OPEC's strategy during the 90's was to oversupply oil to the ...
  • Republican = Traitor?
    Excuse me Frank Schaeffer, but please, shut your mouth . I protest stimulus because I love this country, not because I hate it. Oh sorry, I ...
  • And now for a word on illegal immigrants.
    In a recent local police/Federal authority joint effort, it was discovered that of the 366 prisoners locked up in the Johnson County, Kansas...
  • Tragedy in Buffalo
    Chris Kausner, believing his sister was on the plane, rushed to a hastily established command center after calling his vacationing mother in...

Categories

  • Al Davis
  • Bailout
  • ben affleck
  • Big 3
  • Bill Ayers
  • bipartisanship
  • Bush
  • Cabinet Positions
  • car wreck
  • cellulosic ethanol
  • Christianity
  • Chrysler
  • Clarence Chu
  • Credit Crisis
  • cycling
  • Del Sol
  • Detriot
  • Detroit
  • economics
  • economy
  • egomaniac
  • electricity
  • Endowments
  • engineering
  • Environmental Hypocrisy
  • ESPN
  • ethics
  • evolution
  • existentialism
  • fiscal conservatism
  • Ford
  • Fox News
  • Freddie Mac
  • gas
  • GM
  • Godzilla
  • Green Revolution
  • GTX
  • Harley-Davidson
  • harvard
  • Honda
  • hunting
  • Islam
  • Jerry Jones
  • Kanye West
  • keith olbermann
  • Lance Armstrong
  • market socialism
  • McCain
  • Mere Christianity
  • morality
  • Mountain Dew
  • MTV
  • Mumbai
  • NASA
  • NCLB
  • neandertals
  • No Child Left Behind
  • Obama
  • oil
  • Pakistan
  • Palin
  • per diem
  • philosophy
  • Poetry
  • predictions
  • Rahm Emanuel
  • senators
  • sex
  • Socialism
  • Stimulus
  • Thanksgiving
  • the market
  • urine recycler
  • Zombies

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (228)
    • ►  April (45)
    • ►  März (72)
    • ►  Februar (64)
    • ▼  Januar (47)
      • Lemonade drops "ade" from name. To be called "Lemo...
      • Final thought on infrastructure stimulus
      • Infrastructure Stimulus Part III and IV
      • Intermission
      • Infrastructure Stimulus Part II
      • Infrastructure Stimulus Part I
      • Time for a new government?
      • A Mixed Blessing
      • The Case for Collapse
      • Break me off a piece of that Kit-Kat Bar
      • Hear, hear.
      • Ever play the game "Two Truths and a Lie"
      • Okay, I lied.
      • Yes.
      • Another entertainment post
      • Bizarre storylines = show death
      • Guns - Or The Lack Of Them
      • The Prime Directive
      • Huh?
      • Retirement
      • Not just one news item today.
      • Service
      • MLK for Engineers
      • Bono plays for 'Bama
      • Question:
      • Quote of the day
      • Self-Importance
      • You hear it here
      • When the Bank of England Falls, England Falls
      • It's a big country, Matt.
      • Tim Geithner, Genius.
      • Indecent Proposal
      • Sanjay Gupta, M.D. for Surgeon General
      • Bush to Earth: F*** You.
      • Smart moves
      • Tony Dungy Retires
      • This will all seem unimportant when a volcano kill...
      • America to Duggars: Stop Breeding. Yesterday.
      • Lobster Freedom
      • Vaccines (and pharmaceuticals) continued
      • Weakening the herd through liberal elitism
      • One last note on Robots:
      • Yglesias stumbles into my realm...
      • Terminator (via Washington Post)
      • The Ramsey-Waller Bailout Plan: Addendum
      • Church of the Resurrection
      • Generosity with a catch
  • ►  2008 (182)
    • ►  Dezember (47)
    • ►  November (46)
    • ►  Oktober (43)
    • ►  September (39)
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

Über mich

david
Mein Profil vollständig anzeigen