The Abstracted Sister this morning: I heard on the radio this morning some idiot saying "And if the company remains viable and even grows, the American people could turn a profit." Thanks! That's exactly why I pay taxes: so [the government] can use them for stock buyouts.
TAE: So if the American people see a profit on our 75% stake in AIG, does that mean we'll all see a decrease in our taxes? Or will the government write us a check for the return on the dividend? When do we get permission to diversify our portfolio? I want to roll over some of my AIG shares into low-risk bonds, and roll some shares over into an emerging markets fund that invests in uranium mining in Kazakhstan.
But I don't have any control over the AIG shares that I "bought" and the government is deciding for me where my tax dollars are invested as it uses the money to buy majority shares in gigantic private companies.
There's a term for that: market socialism. It's how China's economy is run.
The Abstracted Sister: But seriously, I pay taxes so I don't get arrested.
TAE: True. True. Nothing like the fear of incarceration to motivate us to go along with a government's actions we find largely unethical and not in our best interest.
I'm sorry, I'm just nostalgic for the good old days of free market capitalism.
Mittwoch, 17. September 2008
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen