abujug blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Montag, 22. September 2008

Who's fault is it anyway?

Posted on 06:24 by david
A couple people (probably the sum total readers of this blog) have asked me why I said that the lower income brackets are getting off while the upper class (the actual taxpayers) are picking up the bailout tab.
TPI made the astute argument that people who foreclose on their mortgages do not get any of the $700 billion bailout that Congress is debating. This is basically true. Although the people who are losing their homes will not receive direct compensation from the government in the bailout, they can in effect benefit. By restoring the liquidity of these mortgage giants, and with the enactment of recent legislation, mortgage companies can convert hi-risk mortgages into safer ones.

But the point I was trying to make was that if a doctor prescribes painkillers for me, and I get addicted to them because I take too many: I'm as much at fault as the doctor. To extend the analogy further, the doctor was perhaps at fault for not warning me sufficiently about the dangers of addiction, but he or she couldn't have known (because I was a first time painkiller user) that I would get addicted. Plus, the doctor knew I was in pain, and hospital beauracrats encouraged the doctor to prescribe painkillers to me.
Now the doctor is mired in a malpractice suit, and the only way he or she can continue to help patients is if his malpractice insurance bails him out.

The point I'm trying to convey here is that I have an excel sheet on my computer that tells me what my monthly payment will be for my (future) house, given a certain escrow, a fixed interest rate, and a certain down payment. This kind of simple calculation should be made by anyone buying a home, and people who see that data and yet make the decision to buy a house that exceeds their ability to make a payment are being very, very foolish. Further, although the banks that financed the mortgage were in fact being enablers to this foolish practice, they in themselves have no responsibility to stop people from buying houses beyond their ability to pay; all the banks see is a certain income level, a credit rating, and they make their decision based on that. Many people who defaulted on their mortgages failed to report other debts during their loan application process. Why should the bank care if they were carrying $15k in credit card debt? Maybe because the bank would have taken $15k off their mortgage amount.

Now I hate to advocate the bailout (since I'm highly against bailouts and government regulation in a free market) but accusing the banks of being evil entities who gave out bad mortgages knowing they would inevitably fail is an unfounded accusation. No financial entity gave away money to people who they believed couldn't pay it back. No financial entity intentionally lowered its liquidity so that when it's bad investments massively failed, it needed the government to bail itself out. The large companies that fell apart when the housing bubble burst were (in some cases) as victimized as the people who bought over-sized mortgages. I have (several times) shown the pressure Washington was putting on mortgage companies to finance people with less than perfect credit.

When will people grow up and stop expecting government to be their babysitter?
Diesen Post per E-Mail versendenBlogThis!Auf X teilenIn Facebook freigeben
Posted in | No comments
Neuerer Post Älterer Post Startseite

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Local Variety Show
    Lewis Diuguid, completely free to write about whatever crosses his mind , informs us all that "socialist" is a code word J. Edgar ...
  • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
    Megan happens to post about a similar topic to what I was going to post about, giving me further evidence that today is a good day to post ...
  • A Time For Violence
    I feel like our nation is averse to warfare. Our society has set us up to feel guilty for the use of violence, and has pushed down masculini...
  • Ahem
    House Democrats attempt to bolster their own numbers by changing the Articles of Confederation. Similar to the Kansas-Nebraska Act (or the...
  • Read the whole post.
    Despite my best efforts : And in case I didn't make it clear above, spare me your linkspam for or against vaccines and circumcision. I k...
  • Oh, hi Colin.
    The thing that struck me about Colin Powell throwing his name onto the Obama roster was "who is affected by this?" Who on earth, s...
  • OPEC's Short Term Memory
    Now, I can't guarantee it was intentional, but it seems to me that OPEC's strategy during the 90's was to oversupply oil to the ...
  • Republican = Traitor?
    Excuse me Frank Schaeffer, but please, shut your mouth . I protest stimulus because I love this country, not because I hate it. Oh sorry, I ...
  • And now for a word on illegal immigrants.
    In a recent local police/Federal authority joint effort, it was discovered that of the 366 prisoners locked up in the Johnson County, Kansas...
  • Tragedy in Buffalo
    Chris Kausner, believing his sister was on the plane, rushed to a hastily established command center after calling his vacationing mother in...

Categories

  • Al Davis
  • Bailout
  • ben affleck
  • Big 3
  • Bill Ayers
  • bipartisanship
  • Bush
  • Cabinet Positions
  • car wreck
  • cellulosic ethanol
  • Christianity
  • Chrysler
  • Clarence Chu
  • Credit Crisis
  • cycling
  • Del Sol
  • Detriot
  • Detroit
  • economics
  • economy
  • egomaniac
  • electricity
  • Endowments
  • engineering
  • Environmental Hypocrisy
  • ESPN
  • ethics
  • evolution
  • existentialism
  • fiscal conservatism
  • Ford
  • Fox News
  • Freddie Mac
  • gas
  • GM
  • Godzilla
  • Green Revolution
  • GTX
  • Harley-Davidson
  • harvard
  • Honda
  • hunting
  • Islam
  • Jerry Jones
  • Kanye West
  • keith olbermann
  • Lance Armstrong
  • market socialism
  • McCain
  • Mere Christianity
  • morality
  • Mountain Dew
  • MTV
  • Mumbai
  • NASA
  • NCLB
  • neandertals
  • No Child Left Behind
  • Obama
  • oil
  • Pakistan
  • Palin
  • per diem
  • philosophy
  • Poetry
  • predictions
  • Rahm Emanuel
  • senators
  • sex
  • Socialism
  • Stimulus
  • Thanksgiving
  • the market
  • urine recycler
  • Zombies

Blog Archive

  • ►  2009 (228)
    • ►  April (45)
    • ►  März (72)
    • ►  Februar (64)
    • ►  Januar (47)
  • ▼  2008 (182)
    • ►  Dezember (47)
    • ►  November (46)
    • ►  Oktober (43)
    • ▼  September (39)
      • This fulfills my obligation to say something about...
      • Sarah Palin 0, Katie Couric 1
      • This is your math on cars.
      • Bailout subtexts.
      • BAILOUT FAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      • History repeats itself in frustrating fashion.
      • Go Big 12 or Go Home!
      • Double Car Post
      • Somebody set up us the bomb.
      • Someday maybe I'll be a one-name name too.
      • The Lost Decade
      • Read the whole article, buddy.
      • And now for some good news.
      • Who's fault is it anyway?
      • Congress protects Congress.
      • Bailouts and CEO pay rates.
      • Palin begins her short descent into reality
      • KDOT, Deb Miller, and McCain
      • Al Davis, owner of the Zombies Raiders
      • Sisterly Cynicism
      • I am government bailout and you can too!
      • Laissez-faire Reaganomics
      • Palin + Hillary = Hillarity
      • The Abstracted Professor
      • Bad Hurricane Forecasts Become the Norm!
      • Large Hadron Collider
      • 9/11 blogging by requirement
      • You heard it here first.
      • Fannie-Freddy and Bush is a socialist
      • Just by typing the name Britney Spears I'm adding ...
      • Football Anger
      • Boeing Machinist Strike
      • Cellulosic Ethanol
      • A rare, kind word of praise for the Republicans
      • Philosophy in a Mountain Dew
      • Black Holes (Funding and Literal)
      • Detroit (Tokyo) Muscle
      • This is my rifle, this is my "gun"...
      • Sarah Palin, Grandmother at 44
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

Über mich

david
Mein Profil vollständig anzeigen