abujug blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Montag, 15. Dezember 2008

I hate defending Freddie, but McCain, you're wrong.

Posted on 17:59 by david
McCain makes as boldly erroneous a statement as I ever would, claiming
Even if the failure rate of any particular method is 1% or less, the law of large numbers means that, with tens of millions of people using contraceptives regularly, there will inevitably be several hundred thousand unplanned pregnancies.

This is only partially reporting the statistics. McCain is arguing that if 100 girls used birth control and had sex, one of them would get pregnant. FAIL!

The fact is, the 1% chance means that 1% of girls that take the birth control are not receptive to its effect.

So if 100 girls are taking a certain birth control that is "99% effective" that means 1 girl in the group will not cease to ovulate successfully even though she is on the birth control. She won't necessarily get pregnant! She could have sex hundreds of times, and just by a fluke, none of her partner's sperm could find her egg. She could miss a period. She could be an athlete, and not ovulate at all. She could inadvertantly use the rhythm method and simply not have sex during her receptive time. And most importantly of all is the idea that an estimated 2/3 of all fertilized eggs self-abort without any external help.

So if 10 million girls are having sex while taking a 99% effective birth control, it does not follow that hundreds of thousands are having unplanned pregnancies. It just means that 1% of them could potentially get pregnant.

Normally I'd let this go, as people with no science background who are normally happy enough to look things up on wikipedia and call themselves an experts are promptly ignored by us with advanced graduate degrees in science, but when he drops his derisive third update, I have to defend a thinking man from the ignorant.


_
Diesen Post per E-Mail versendenBlogThis!Auf X teilenIn Facebook freigeben
Posted in | No comments
Neuerer Post Älterer Post Startseite

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Local Variety Show
    Lewis Diuguid, completely free to write about whatever crosses his mind , informs us all that "socialist" is a code word J. Edgar ...
  • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
    Megan happens to post about a similar topic to what I was going to post about, giving me further evidence that today is a good day to post ...
  • A Time For Violence
    I feel like our nation is averse to warfare. Our society has set us up to feel guilty for the use of violence, and has pushed down masculini...
  • Ahem
    House Democrats attempt to bolster their own numbers by changing the Articles of Confederation. Similar to the Kansas-Nebraska Act (or the...
  • Read the whole post.
    Despite my best efforts : And in case I didn't make it clear above, spare me your linkspam for or against vaccines and circumcision. I k...
  • Oh, hi Colin.
    The thing that struck me about Colin Powell throwing his name onto the Obama roster was "who is affected by this?" Who on earth, s...
  • OPEC's Short Term Memory
    Now, I can't guarantee it was intentional, but it seems to me that OPEC's strategy during the 90's was to oversupply oil to the ...
  • Republican = Traitor?
    Excuse me Frank Schaeffer, but please, shut your mouth . I protest stimulus because I love this country, not because I hate it. Oh sorry, I ...
  • And now for a word on illegal immigrants.
    In a recent local police/Federal authority joint effort, it was discovered that of the 366 prisoners locked up in the Johnson County, Kansas...
  • Tragedy in Buffalo
    Chris Kausner, believing his sister was on the plane, rushed to a hastily established command center after calling his vacationing mother in...

Categories

  • Al Davis
  • Bailout
  • ben affleck
  • Big 3
  • Bill Ayers
  • bipartisanship
  • Bush
  • Cabinet Positions
  • car wreck
  • cellulosic ethanol
  • Christianity
  • Chrysler
  • Clarence Chu
  • Credit Crisis
  • cycling
  • Del Sol
  • Detriot
  • Detroit
  • economics
  • economy
  • egomaniac
  • electricity
  • Endowments
  • engineering
  • Environmental Hypocrisy
  • ESPN
  • ethics
  • evolution
  • existentialism
  • fiscal conservatism
  • Ford
  • Fox News
  • Freddie Mac
  • gas
  • GM
  • Godzilla
  • Green Revolution
  • GTX
  • Harley-Davidson
  • harvard
  • Honda
  • hunting
  • Islam
  • Jerry Jones
  • Kanye West
  • keith olbermann
  • Lance Armstrong
  • market socialism
  • McCain
  • Mere Christianity
  • morality
  • Mountain Dew
  • MTV
  • Mumbai
  • NASA
  • NCLB
  • neandertals
  • No Child Left Behind
  • Obama
  • oil
  • Pakistan
  • Palin
  • per diem
  • philosophy
  • Poetry
  • predictions
  • Rahm Emanuel
  • senators
  • sex
  • Socialism
  • Stimulus
  • Thanksgiving
  • the market
  • urine recycler
  • Zombies

Blog Archive

  • ►  2009 (228)
    • ►  April (45)
    • ►  März (72)
    • ►  Februar (64)
    • ►  Januar (47)
  • ▼  2008 (182)
    • ▼  Dezember (47)
      • Israel v Palestine
      • Mike Shanahan v Herm Edwards
      • Homebuying becomes fraught with safety and logic
      • Down Syndrome, God's Easy Pickin's.
      • Let's all join hands and genetic engineer the worl...
      • I'm sure my minister relatives will have some answ...
      • In Defense of FDR Bashing
      • French Counterfeit Chocolate
      • Sign of the (End) Times
      • Little Ice Age, continued
      • Infrastructure stimulus = FAIL...?
      • More religious thoughts
      • Belief
      • I clocked you going 55.01 mph in a 55.00 mph zone.
      • OPEC's Short Term Memory
      • Holiday wish lists are much too practical
      • Global Warming Climate Change
      • Oscar-hungry
      • Fixing healthcare
      • Cludolf, the Coal-Nosed Caribou
      • I hate defending Freddie, but McCain, you're wrong.
      • Writer's Bloc
      • GLEE
      • Detroit Bailout (cont'd)
      • All things being equal
      • Why you don't always like your friends.
      • Just maybe...
      • Oh no you di'int
      • The Big(ger) 3 Picture
      • Destroying Society, one Twiggie at a time.
      • Linguistic Genius
      • Power corrupts. Illinois power corrupts absolutely.
      • The Ramsey-Waller Bailout Plan - Solving the Debt ...
      • Ebert v. Stein Part I
      • Hate to say I told you so, but...
      • Getting Clean Water To Zimbabwe Makes Good Cents.
      • ESPN Bowl Mania Fail
      • The End of Science as CNN Knows It
      • Self-Congratulation
      • The View From Work
      • YES!
      • Jesus Walked on Water, But Chuck Norris Swam Throu...
      • World's First Post-GM-Bankruptcy Post
      • One man's trash
      • Never bring a paleobiologist to an ethics fight.
      • A Time For Violence
      • Neanderslayer - On Intentionally Killing Innocent ...
    • ►  November (46)
    • ►  Oktober (43)
    • ►  September (39)
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

Über mich

david
Mein Profil vollständig anzeigen