abujug blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sonntag, 2. November 2008

Deciding factor.

Posted on 10:04 by david
Last night, as I tried to explain the two candidates to Mrs. TAE, it dawned on me that I had a rather easy decision to make.
The problem I have been having is that I see Sen. McCain as a fairly moderate Republican and Sen. Obama as a fairly moderate Democrat. It was hard for me to identify a single issue I considered important on which they diverged that could polarize me to vote one way or another.

But last night it finally dawned on me (when I was trying to explain "Joe the Plumber" and McCain's tax plan vs. Obama's tax plan) that there is a simple way to separate them.
Mr McCain is genuinely looking out for all Americans as individuals. Mr. Obama is genuinely looking out for Americans as a collective unit.

The way I see it, Sen. Obama's tax plan may hurt some people's pocketbooks more than Senator McCain's tax plan will. But by and large, it seems to me that the ideology of Sen. Obama is one of good for all Americans in general, not individually. Senator Obama wants the country as a whole to be a better place, while Senator McCain's ideology seems to be that he wants as many individual Americans as possible to have a better life.*

For me, that made the decision easy. If my instincts on the two men are correct, then a person in my situation (that is, an undecided voter 4 days before the election) would be voting for McCain out of selfishness, and not patriotism. The choice to vote for Obama, though I do not make it lightly, nor especially happily, has become the most logical choice.

There is another thought, however, that arose in me this morning. The idea that my 1 year old daughter could become an adult in a world where a black President was completely normal is an enticing idea for me. My parents grew up in a country that had just erased segregation around the time they were born, and if, in 50 years, we've gone from there to a black President, maybe I can be little more optimistic about this country.
As a parent, I have quickly stopped worrying about things that happen during my lifetime, and instead have instinctively begun focusing on things that will happen during the lifetime of my children.

The idea that my daughter wouldn't be able to understand what life was like before we had a black President warms my heart. It gives me hope that maybe my granddaughter won't be able to understand what life was like when we had cancer. It gives me hope that my great-granddaughter will wonder what life was like when we had war. It gives me hope that my progeny, many generations down the road, will wonder what life was like when people lived on Earth.

It would be such an ironic twist that the Bush Legacy might not be Iraq, or Katrina, or The Bailout, or any number of failures. The Bush Legacy could very well be that his incompetence, his consistent bullheaded ignorance of the will of the people, and especially his (and his friends') arrogance pushed this country so far to the left that he has paved the way for the single most radical act of my lifetime. I saw footage on FoxNews of elderly black women standing in line to vote for Senator Obama and laughing and giving each other "high-five." I can't imagine raising my daughter in a world without moments like that.

When I look into the face of my daughter I realize I absolutely must vote for Senator Obama.
Diesen Post per E-Mail versendenBlogThis!Auf X teilenIn Facebook freigeben
Posted in | No comments
Neuerer Post Älterer Post Startseite

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Local Variety Show
    Lewis Diuguid, completely free to write about whatever crosses his mind , informs us all that "socialist" is a code word J. Edgar ...
  • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
    Megan happens to post about a similar topic to what I was going to post about, giving me further evidence that today is a good day to post ...
  • A Time For Violence
    I feel like our nation is averse to warfare. Our society has set us up to feel guilty for the use of violence, and has pushed down masculini...
  • Ahem
    House Democrats attempt to bolster their own numbers by changing the Articles of Confederation. Similar to the Kansas-Nebraska Act (or the...
  • Read the whole post.
    Despite my best efforts : And in case I didn't make it clear above, spare me your linkspam for or against vaccines and circumcision. I k...
  • Oh, hi Colin.
    The thing that struck me about Colin Powell throwing his name onto the Obama roster was "who is affected by this?" Who on earth, s...
  • OPEC's Short Term Memory
    Now, I can't guarantee it was intentional, but it seems to me that OPEC's strategy during the 90's was to oversupply oil to the ...
  • Republican = Traitor?
    Excuse me Frank Schaeffer, but please, shut your mouth . I protest stimulus because I love this country, not because I hate it. Oh sorry, I ...
  • And now for a word on illegal immigrants.
    In a recent local police/Federal authority joint effort, it was discovered that of the 366 prisoners locked up in the Johnson County, Kansas...
  • Tragedy in Buffalo
    Chris Kausner, believing his sister was on the plane, rushed to a hastily established command center after calling his vacationing mother in...

Categories

  • Al Davis
  • Bailout
  • ben affleck
  • Big 3
  • Bill Ayers
  • bipartisanship
  • Bush
  • Cabinet Positions
  • car wreck
  • cellulosic ethanol
  • Christianity
  • Chrysler
  • Clarence Chu
  • Credit Crisis
  • cycling
  • Del Sol
  • Detriot
  • Detroit
  • economics
  • economy
  • egomaniac
  • electricity
  • Endowments
  • engineering
  • Environmental Hypocrisy
  • ESPN
  • ethics
  • evolution
  • existentialism
  • fiscal conservatism
  • Ford
  • Fox News
  • Freddie Mac
  • gas
  • GM
  • Godzilla
  • Green Revolution
  • GTX
  • Harley-Davidson
  • harvard
  • Honda
  • hunting
  • Islam
  • Jerry Jones
  • Kanye West
  • keith olbermann
  • Lance Armstrong
  • market socialism
  • McCain
  • Mere Christianity
  • morality
  • Mountain Dew
  • MTV
  • Mumbai
  • NASA
  • NCLB
  • neandertals
  • No Child Left Behind
  • Obama
  • oil
  • Pakistan
  • Palin
  • per diem
  • philosophy
  • Poetry
  • predictions
  • Rahm Emanuel
  • senators
  • sex
  • Socialism
  • Stimulus
  • Thanksgiving
  • the market
  • urine recycler
  • Zombies

Blog Archive

  • ►  2009 (228)
    • ►  April (45)
    • ►  März (72)
    • ►  Februar (64)
    • ►  Januar (47)
  • ▼  2008 (182)
    • ►  Dezember (47)
    • ▼  November (46)
      • Market Surge
      • Flash forward
      • Obligatory Thanksgiving Reflection Post
      • Taxing gas
      • Joe Biden, President
      • Bipartisanship NEVER works
      • NASA, HIRE ME!
      • Leave NCLB Behind.
      • Stimulate me...again! (Again)
      • Let them eat cake?
      • Dot's Poetry Corner
      • Waiter, check please.
      • Economic Nightmare/Dream
      • All out of excuses?
      • Motorala's newest phone: The Kevlar
      • Latest news on pirates
      • I win!! Oil at $49.75 in early trading!
      • Ross Douthat, shameless bootlicker
      • My Detroit Bailout.
      • Cry havoc and let slip the robots of war!
      • There's a Run on Guns at Macy's!!
      • Butterflies to Flowers: Drop Dead.
      • I love peace, but WE love war.
      • The Voice of My Generation - Kanye West?
      • Ivory Tower Academics
      • Earth, the Toilet Paper Roll
      • Just when you think you've seen it all...
      • Detroit...let em burn?
      • Green Revolution (UPDATED)
      • Now what?
      • Why not record my life digitally?
      • An Open Letter to the President-elect.
      • Fantasy Cabinet Draft
      • Note to Isolationists: Don't Expect Star Wars.
      • One last thought on yesterday
      • Fox News
      • Wacky Californians
      • Hangover
      • The Cougar
      • Election Coverage
      • Tuesday, November 4th.
      • Why would I want a cure?
      • Countdown with Ben Affleck
      • Defeatism at its finest
      • This fulfills my obligation to say something about...
      • Deciding factor.
    • ►  Oktober (43)
    • ►  September (39)
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

Über mich

david
Mein Profil vollständig anzeigen