abujug blogspot

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Montag, 24. November 2008

Leave NCLB Behind.

Posted on 09:37 by david
One political issue that I hope to hear more about is No Child Left Behind. Written by Congress (Including Ted "I'll never die" Kennedy), and signed by President Bush shortly after taking office, NCLB is a controversal method of holding teachers and districts accountable for their students educations, but putting benchmark requirements on their reading, writing, and math skills. When students fall behind, the schools can be punished.

There are many problems with this, so many, in fact, that I can't possibly address them all. You can read all about it on various websites and blogs devoted to discussions of the invalidity of NCLB. But as a blogging engineer, one would think I would be a proponent of students increasing their math, reading and writing skills. Wouldn't it make sense, for an engineer who writes and reads and uses math every day to love a test that forces students to be more like me? Of course it would, if only engineers were totally mindless drones.

As any fellow blogger acknowledges, reading and writing is what gives democracy its voice! Without the ability to read, we couldn't learn to dissent. Without writing, we couldn't publish our dissent. And as any fellow engineer will quickly recognize, mathematics is the rational formulation of reality. Without math, none of this would make sense. Every word I type is translated via mathematical coding (binary) and the fundamentals of how a computer works is all based on mathematical formulas. A quick example: the keyboard is "qwerty" across the top row because a typist figured out which keys should be where in order to minimize the chances a typewriter's arms would crisscross.

True, part of why I excelled in reading is because I learned to read at a very early age, but just as much because at an early age I was chugging through science fiction novels and historical fiction books as fast as I could get them.

And also true, part of why I excelled in writing is because I had to write essays in A.P. English. But just as truly, I excelled in writing because I tried to write my own science fiction novel, because I wrote love-letters to girlfriends, and because I wrote in a diary.

Finally, it is true I excelledin math because from an early age I had a grasp of multiplication and algebra, and I was pushed hard by my math teachers, but its just as true that I excelled in math because in an art class I learned how to draw fractals long before I knew the math behind their structure.

The point is, although we do need to raise today's children to excel in math, reading, writing, and other core curriculums, it is folly to not let their imaginations get some test points too. Schools concerned with making the NCLB minimums are cutting down on recess, decreasing time spent in art and music classes and P.E. class, and taking whatever steps necessary to boost their 3R's while sacrificing the whole right brain.

This is a terrible, terrible plan. If you look back at history, the greatest minds of all time, each and every one, had some very right brained tendencies. Leonardo, arguably the smartest person of all time, excelled in painting and sculpture just as much as in math and science. Einstein, the poster-child for smartness, excelled at math beyond imagination, but enjoyed debating ethics and philosophy and religion just as much as Unified Field Theory. Edison, with over 1,000 patents in the fields of science, manufacturing, and chemistry, spent his free time reading fiction.

If we neglect the full breadth of education for tomorrow's children and turn them into mindless calculators, we will do them an injustice that we cannot measure.
Diesen Post per E-Mail versendenBlogThis!Auf X teilenIn Facebook freigeben
Posted in NCLB, No Child Left Behind | No comments
Neuerer Post Älterer Post Startseite

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Local Variety Show
    Lewis Diuguid, completely free to write about whatever crosses his mind , informs us all that "socialist" is a code word J. Edgar ...
  • Virtuous Joe Six-Pack (of Zima, of course)
    Megan happens to post about a similar topic to what I was going to post about, giving me further evidence that today is a good day to post ...
  • A Time For Violence
    I feel like our nation is averse to warfare. Our society has set us up to feel guilty for the use of violence, and has pushed down masculini...
  • Ahem
    House Democrats attempt to bolster their own numbers by changing the Articles of Confederation. Similar to the Kansas-Nebraska Act (or the...
  • Read the whole post.
    Despite my best efforts : And in case I didn't make it clear above, spare me your linkspam for or against vaccines and circumcision. I k...
  • Oh, hi Colin.
    The thing that struck me about Colin Powell throwing his name onto the Obama roster was "who is affected by this?" Who on earth, s...
  • OPEC's Short Term Memory
    Now, I can't guarantee it was intentional, but it seems to me that OPEC's strategy during the 90's was to oversupply oil to the ...
  • Republican = Traitor?
    Excuse me Frank Schaeffer, but please, shut your mouth . I protest stimulus because I love this country, not because I hate it. Oh sorry, I ...
  • And now for a word on illegal immigrants.
    In a recent local police/Federal authority joint effort, it was discovered that of the 366 prisoners locked up in the Johnson County, Kansas...
  • Tragedy in Buffalo
    Chris Kausner, believing his sister was on the plane, rushed to a hastily established command center after calling his vacationing mother in...

Categories

  • Al Davis
  • Bailout
  • ben affleck
  • Big 3
  • Bill Ayers
  • bipartisanship
  • Bush
  • Cabinet Positions
  • car wreck
  • cellulosic ethanol
  • Christianity
  • Chrysler
  • Clarence Chu
  • Credit Crisis
  • cycling
  • Del Sol
  • Detriot
  • Detroit
  • economics
  • economy
  • egomaniac
  • electricity
  • Endowments
  • engineering
  • Environmental Hypocrisy
  • ESPN
  • ethics
  • evolution
  • existentialism
  • fiscal conservatism
  • Ford
  • Fox News
  • Freddie Mac
  • gas
  • GM
  • Godzilla
  • Green Revolution
  • GTX
  • Harley-Davidson
  • harvard
  • Honda
  • hunting
  • Islam
  • Jerry Jones
  • Kanye West
  • keith olbermann
  • Lance Armstrong
  • market socialism
  • McCain
  • Mere Christianity
  • morality
  • Mountain Dew
  • MTV
  • Mumbai
  • NASA
  • NCLB
  • neandertals
  • No Child Left Behind
  • Obama
  • oil
  • Pakistan
  • Palin
  • per diem
  • philosophy
  • Poetry
  • predictions
  • Rahm Emanuel
  • senators
  • sex
  • Socialism
  • Stimulus
  • Thanksgiving
  • the market
  • urine recycler
  • Zombies

Blog Archive

  • ►  2009 (228)
    • ►  April (45)
    • ►  März (72)
    • ►  Februar (64)
    • ►  Januar (47)
  • ▼  2008 (182)
    • ►  Dezember (47)
    • ▼  November (46)
      • Market Surge
      • Flash forward
      • Obligatory Thanksgiving Reflection Post
      • Taxing gas
      • Joe Biden, President
      • Bipartisanship NEVER works
      • NASA, HIRE ME!
      • Leave NCLB Behind.
      • Stimulate me...again! (Again)
      • Let them eat cake?
      • Dot's Poetry Corner
      • Waiter, check please.
      • Economic Nightmare/Dream
      • All out of excuses?
      • Motorala's newest phone: The Kevlar
      • Latest news on pirates
      • I win!! Oil at $49.75 in early trading!
      • Ross Douthat, shameless bootlicker
      • My Detroit Bailout.
      • Cry havoc and let slip the robots of war!
      • There's a Run on Guns at Macy's!!
      • Butterflies to Flowers: Drop Dead.
      • I love peace, but WE love war.
      • The Voice of My Generation - Kanye West?
      • Ivory Tower Academics
      • Earth, the Toilet Paper Roll
      • Just when you think you've seen it all...
      • Detroit...let em burn?
      • Green Revolution (UPDATED)
      • Now what?
      • Why not record my life digitally?
      • An Open Letter to the President-elect.
      • Fantasy Cabinet Draft
      • Note to Isolationists: Don't Expect Star Wars.
      • One last thought on yesterday
      • Fox News
      • Wacky Californians
      • Hangover
      • The Cougar
      • Election Coverage
      • Tuesday, November 4th.
      • Why would I want a cure?
      • Countdown with Ben Affleck
      • Defeatism at its finest
      • This fulfills my obligation to say something about...
      • Deciding factor.
    • ►  Oktober (43)
    • ►  September (39)
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

Über mich

david
Mein Profil vollständig anzeigen