Every few months I am reminded that we need to automate cars and teach them to drive themselves. We'd save literally thousands upon thousands of American lives every year.
Here, Yglesias argues that cars are weapons, when used irresponsibly, and our language when describing vehicular fatalities should reflect this.
And people who aren’t careful—especially those people whose carelessness [sic] leads to deaths and serious injuries—deserve to be subjected to strong implicit and explicit moral criticism. The common rhetoric of “accidents” the use of the passive voice serve to obscure what’s happening and where the responsibility lies.
However, I strongly want to remind everyone that despite the rare ugly ducklings that don't know how to drive, millions upon millions of people drive vehicles every day without incident. We should not up the ante legislatively just because a stressed person, distracted on their phone, or whatever, drove dangerously and caused a collision.
Instead, I advocate that cars should be automated, and humans should no longer be allowed to drive them (except on private tracks or places like that). I have shown before that all the technologies required to automate cars are essentially in place, we only need a guiding hand to unify them into a working model. This system could be grandfathered into place fairly easily, with a ten year hybridized highway system where some cars were automated while gradually less and less cars were manually driven.
Simply put, if you car is driving itself, it would never go the wrong way.
_
0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen